Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition: My Grouse (Gripe) with Josephine Montilyet (Spoiler)

     Josephine Montilyet is a beautifully designed Non-Playable Character; she is an Advisor to your hero /heroine Inquisitor. Apart from her view as an Adviser, I find her too aloof. Granted I am early on in the game. It could be that I have not interacted with her long enough. I hope it is the case. One thing that bothers me most at the moment is when my Inquisitor is speaking with her, she is writing. She glances and then continues on writing; it happens every time I speak with her at her location thus far. At the end of our meeting, she would state that she's going back to what she was working on or she sent you away with a dry dismissal**. Heck, she never stopped to begin with! I find it immersion breaking at the very least. I noticed that Bioware preferred to not have too many cut-scenes this time around. When speaking to the Advisers and Companions, I would rather see them up-close a la Dragon Age: Origins or at the very least a la the Elder Scrolls--games. Bioware mentioned that Dragon Age: Inquisition is inspired by the Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

     I would say the only blatant similarity with Skyrim thus far to me (My Inquisitor is only level 10) would be the open-world. There are some good mechanics that could be borrowed from Bethesda's games and they are some limited options that should not ever be copied or even considered.  Skyrim requires mods to be playable by many players.  I would suggest that The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is looked upon as well as ESO (improvements are being made left and right for this online jewel; regardless of limitations, I really enjoy it). Even though the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has its shortcoming, it is one of Bethesda's best RPGs in many reviewers' mind; it is for me as well. So, Dragon Age: Inquisition is really its own game. Even Crafting is loosely related to the Elder Scrolls; it is typically Bioware's (I enjoy Crafting in ESO; hopefully Bioware's takes heed of the suggestions given by the fan-base). Many players mentioned Skyrim style fetch-quests in Dragon Age: Inquisition; I am disagreeing with that sentiment.  Despite Skyrim voluminous amount of fetch-type, side-quests, I find the quests in Dragon Age: Inquisition, their very own.


     It would be much more satisfying to me if the Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) approach to quests were emulated here; in ESO, the quest-givers are shown close-up with text next to the quest giver. I find this approach more immersive. To me, this displays that you're actually having a one-on-one conversation with a breathing, live person. Bioware did do this in its previous two installments, especially with Dragon Age: Origins with Lead Developer and Creative Director: Brent Knowles. Yes, I do understand that there is a new Creative Director, Mike Laidlaw, for the last two installments. Nevertheless, for the love of god why shy away from a formula that works in the original installment? Why redefining the game to such an extent with  this next installments in the world of Thedas  since Dragon Age: Origins? I can see improvements based on the fanbase's feedback, as well as fresh implementations of new ideas that do not deviate too far from the original game, thus not breaking but ameliorate the first installment in the series; that is the prerogative of the  Development team. Improvements are always welcomed. The Dragon Age series must also evolve (my opinion here is subject to change as I progress in the game; I always keep an open mind.).


     To return to the topic, lovely Josephine Montilyet, carries around  a clipboard where a candle is attached. I find this truly annoying. And I ask myself: "why does she carry a candle with her and why must it be attached on that clipboard (the other Advisors are not carrying anything for good reason because the War Room is very bright; she needs it more in her office in the evening, for during daylight hours, lights  come in through the well-placed windows in her office.)?" Isn't it a hazard? She is moving about. Yet, the candle remains stationary. I hope Bioware notices how silly this is and remedies this soon. As an Adviser, her mind is very sharp; No one can mistake her for someone other than the intelligent, poised and regal person that she is. All she must do is open her sexy lips!

     I would hope that as a love interest, she is just as interesting as she is intuitive as a skillful Adviser. As matter of the heart goes, I'm not seeing this. She keeps my Inquisitor at bay and circumvents my Inquisitor’s interest in her in a matter-of-factly manner, without panache or coy-ness.  That lovely goddess should possess the skills to have my Inquisitor gravitates to her like moths dancing about a shimmering light on a moonless night! At the moment, her lovely self is not hinting that my Inquisitor interests her in the slightest. That does discourage. A little hint of interest in my Inquisitor will prevent my PC from avoiding her as a love interest altogether. Good grief, Josephine! Do stop and give my Inquisitor the attention that my PC deserves, you lovely, dark-eyes vixen, you! I am your chief!


** Edit: I will write a followup to this post, where I find out more about this astute Adviser. =)