Sunday, November 30, 2014

My First Take and my First Ordeal with DA:I PC Version

November 21st, 2014


     Yesterday, I loaded up my PC version of Dragon Age: Inquisition. I inserted my disc in and then signed into Origins.  Origins recognized my version as a digital download. My redeem code is slotted as digital deluxe.  I continued with the installation. On the Origin’s dashboard, it shows the game as a digital deluxe. Go figure!


     With the four discs installed, the game image I had as a digital deluxe for Dragon Age Inquisition disappeared from the Origin dashboard. I had to manually add it as one of my games into Origin.  I am wondering if this is a common problem with hard copy discs in which there is a digital copy version of the game?  To me, the game should show (like my other collector editions games I bought from Bioware and now EA). I logged out of Origin and logged back in.  Dragon Age Inquisition still didn't show.  I left that alone.

     I load up Dragon Age: Inquisition and went into the character creator screen. I spent over an hour making my Two-handed Qunari female Warrior.  I logged into the game and after the cut-scene where she's found by some guards; the screen went black and it showed a pointer at the bottom that the game was loading. When the game loaded it placed my Playable Character (PC) in an empty land where there was a green like fumes pond.. I threaded on that and headed forward towards North.  Haven’t played the game, I did not know what to expect (I avoided spoilers from players who had access to the game via early access).

     I have not watched spoilers, so I didn't know if this was a glitch.  After trying to find my way around some icy mountains and encountering dead bodies and taking every direction, l shut down the game; the beautiful female Qunari that I spent over an hour on was lost. No way to save the game after logging in from the character creation screen (I hope Bioware add the functionality to save the game after character creation; it is being asked by forumites on the Bioware Social Network forums).   Not desiring to give up. I re-rolled another female Qunari. Again, I took my time to make a lovely, poised, regal Two-handed Qunari Warrior.  I logged in again and the same thing recurred.  I attempted to find anything—anything that can get me to someone alive. Anything at all! I could see the Rift, but it was so high up the mountain;  my character couldn't reach it due the glitch (I learned this later after a successful attempt). 

     Again, I shut down the game. I tried again, but this time, I didn't customize my character. I chose the same specialization: two-handed warrior and female Qunari. Guess what? It worked this time.  It took a matter of loading. Within a couple of minutes, the real introduction began to play!  Some of the frustration from trying to play this game that I have been waiting for in agony, sort of evaporated. Was all this necessary? I asked myself.  Was this game ported for the PC?.  When I entered the game, it glitched. It slowed. My character was moving at a slow pace. I have an i7. It is a gaming computer. At one point I couldn't see my mouse. Thank goodness I had a wireless Xbox 360 controller. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to move.   For the time being, I opted to use Xbox One (Still waiting to hear word from Gramestop on my Collector's Edition state).

Edit: I got a new Collector's Edition: 12-3-14.  I haven't opened it yet to see if the pieces are intact or not missing or that the box is still together.